Sunday, July 8, 2012

PaymoneyTomyPain

One of my personal favorite bands from Japan, PaymoneyTomyPain offers up a collection of rhythmic hits, each with their own catchy guitar riffs and punk/rock hooks. Formed in 2005, PTP continues to make waves throughout the Japanese music scene.


The band consists of four main members: 
K - Vocals
Pablo - Guitar
Zax - Drums
Tsuyoshi - Bass
Albums
  • Another Day Comes (September 12, 2007)
  • After You Wake Up (March 18, 2009)
  • Remember the Name (January 26, 2011)

My first encounter with PTP was in the summer of 2008. After the RIZExPTP show at the Liquid Room in Ebisu, I somehow found my way to the after party at the 7th Floor bar in Shibuya. Even though I didn't have any money, I decided to crash the party anyways, on the off chance that I'd get to meet my friends from the band RIZE.

PTP - Pictures


I took the elevator up to the 7th Floor and immediately saw there was a $20 cover charge to cover the costs of food and alcohol. I was extremely disappointed, because at that point in my trip, I was nearly broke and in full money conservation mode. I said a quick hello to a few people I recognized inside the bar, turned around and went back to the elevator and downstairs.

I loitered outside the bar for a few minutes until someone walked up to me and asked my why I wasn't upstairs enjoying the party.

"Why don't you go upstairs and enjoy the party?" The man asked.

"I can't, I'm on a budget. I spent my allowance for the day just getting to Ebisu to see the show." I replied.

"Don't worry about the price, I'll cover you. I am K from PTP." K said.

We crammed back inside the tiny elevator and went back up to the 7th Floor. This time when the elevator doors opened up, the room recognized K's presence and the entire place erupted in an uproar. Before joining the party, K pulled out $40 and paid the entrance fee for the both of us. It was that moment PTP had me hooked, it didn't matter what their music sounded like.

After the party started to wind down, a select few people were invited to let the good times roll back at Jesse's (RIZE) house. I was welcomed to go, but I didn't know where Jesse lived, and Jesse had already left the party. Fortunately for me, K had me jump into his cab and again, K paid for the fare.

This is just an example of why I love PTP. Fortunately for me, I've maintained my friendship with K over the years since then. K is they type of person who hypes you up, no matter the situation. In 2010, I made a song with our mutual friend Hiro and when Hiro showed K the song, K immediately added vocals to the hook, making the song even more special to me than you could ever imagine.

"Alan! I have a surprise for you!" I remember Hiro saying in an email. "I remixed our song, I hope you like it!"

I listened again to my own song. It sounded completely different... It sounded... better! K's vocals on the hook were an unexpected and completely surprising gift for me to stumble upon. I still can't believe how awesome his vocals are, if you want to hear the song check it out:

C.A.L.I.F.O.R.N.I.A. by NezumiKozo feat. Hiro and K from PTP


This band is amazing, definitely worth a few listens... PICTURES and FROM HERE TO SOMEWHERE are two of my favorite songs from PTP. It is the type of music that no matter how many times you listen to these songs, they continue to hype you up. If you're in Japan right now, be sure to check these guys out at some point during their 2012 tour!

2012 Tour Dates

07.14 - 富山Soul Power
07.15 - 新潟LOTS
07.18 - 音霊 OTODAMA SEA STUDIO
07.28 - 男鹿市船川港内特設ステージ
07.31 - LIQUID ROOM ebisu
08.04 - Club Diamond Hall
08.05 - 国営ひたち海浜公園
08.19 - QVCマリンフィールド&幕張メッセ
09.23 - 千葉ポートパーク内 特設野外ステージ

**BONUS** Here is a live video of PTP I took from the side stage at Shibuya Axe in 2010.

2 comments:

  1. Nice. I'm really getting into Japanese rock music recently. I just looked for these guys on youtube. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell yeah ben! PTP freakin rocks! Here's a link to one of the videos I recorded from the side of the stage during one of their concerts.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO0ZYfQWMPs

    Sorry for the bad quality, but I hope you get the point... THEY ROCK!

    ReplyDelete